Picture of the Day: Vice President Pence Visits Cheonan Memorial

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence visits the Cheonan Memorial at the West Sea Protection Hall, in Pyeongtaek, Korea, Feb. 9, where he was escorted by Mr. Kim, Lok hyun, museum director. Vice President Pence toured the museum, along with Vincent K. Brooks, commanding general U.S. Forces Korea, Combined Forces Command, United Nations Command and Gen. Kim, Byeong Joo, deputy commander, Combined Forces Command, and visited the memorial dedicated to the 46 crewmen from the Cheonan warship who lost their lives in 2010 members who lost their lives. (U.S. Army Photos by Staff Sgt. David Chapman, USFK)

Kim Kyok-Sik, the General Behind the Cheonan Sinking Dies at Age 77

Via a reader tip comes news that the North Korean general who masterminded the sinking of the Cheonan that leftists still believe was not executed by North Korea has died:

A powerful North Korean general who Seoul believes was behind the sinking of a South Korean warship and the shelling of one of its islands in 2010 has died, state media said Monday.

Kim Kyok-Sik died on Sunday of respiratory failure while suffering from an unidentified type of cancer, according to Rodong Shinmun, the newspaper of the North’s ruling Workers’ Party. He was 77.

“The comrade served in very important positions… in the military for a long time, making great contributions to firmly protect our socialist motherland,” it said.

The four-star general was named by South Korea as being the operational commander behind the sinking of the Cheonan navy corvette in March 2010 and the shelling eight months later of the border island of Yeonpyeong.

A South Korean-led investigation involving a team of international experts concluded the Cheonan was sunk by a North Korean submarine torpedo and Seoul cut trade and aid links to Pyongyang in response. [AFP]

You can read the rest at the link.

Picture of the Day: Defense Secretary Visits Cheonan Memorial

S. Korean, U.S. defense chiefs visit Cheonan memorial

U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter (2nd from R) and South Korean Defense Minister Han Min-koo (2nd from L) visit the Navy’s 2nd Fleet Command in Pyeongtaek, South Korea, on April 10, 2015, to pay tribute to 46 South Korean sailors killed in the sinking of the country’s warship Cheonan in 2010 by North Korea. (Yonhap)

North Korea Refuses to Apology for Cheonan Sinking

The North Koreans figure they can probably just wait out the Park administration and eventually have the sanctions removed without taking responsibility for the murder of the 104 South Korean sailors:

interkorean flag

North Korea on Tuesday ruled out any apology over the 2010 sinking of the South Korean navel corvette Cheonan, and demanded Seoul lift sanctions imposed after the incident in which Pyongyang has always denied involvement.

Two days ahead of the fifth anniversary of the sinking, in which 46 South Korean seamen died, the North’s top military body, the National Defence Commission (NDC), condemned Seoul’s steadfast insistence on the “cock-and-bull” idea that Pyongyang was responsible.

The Cheonan was carrying 104 personnel when it sank near the disputed Yellow Sea maritime border between North and South Korea on March 26.

A South Korean-led investigation involving a team of international experts concluded it was sunk by a North Korean submarine torpedo.

Despite Pyongyang’s heated denials, Seoul responded with the so-called “May 24 measures” — which amounted to an effective trade embargo on North Korea which remains in place today.

South Korea has insisted it will only consider lifting the sanctions after the North acknowledges its responsibility and apologises.

The NDC statement on Tuesday demanded the immediate end of the trade embargo, arguing that it had been “cooked up under the absurd pretext of the … fictitious story” of North Korean involvement in the Cheonan sinking.

“The South should clearly understand that its sophism that ‘apology’ and ‘expression of regret’ have to precede the lifting of the ‘step’ can never work,” a spokesman for the NDC’s policy department said in the statement carried by the North’s official KCNA news agency.

Calling for an apology in such circumstances amounted to an “intolerable mockery” of the North’s dignity, the spokesman said  [AFP]

You can read the rest at the link.