Update on the Columbian Man Assaulted at A Busan Costco

The Joong Ang Ilbo has an update on the racial incident involving a Columbian man at a Busan Costco.  His activism after the incident led to positive change at the Busan police department that handled his case:

Leonardo Mendoza and Shin Jin-yeong having a friendly chat in front of a supermarket after a severe racial discrimination case involving Mendoza in Busan. [SONG BONG-GEUN]

After the incident took place, did the Busan Yeonjae Police Department chief (Ryu Sam-yeong) call to apologize?

That’s correct. On Sunday (April 2) night, three days after, he apologized, saying, “We do have training, but it was very insufficient and we will expand training pertaining to foreigners.” On the next day, I called again and requested to have an internal racial discrimination training session. I went for a lecture to the police station on April 5. When I met him at the chief’s office, he said, “Of police chiefs countrywide, I am the only one with a perm. Of policemen, there are those who dislike hearing a lecture held by a foreigner. I ask for your understanding even though the audience may be small.”

When I actually went to the lecture hall, there were 250 policeman cramped inside. The policeman who handled the incident at the time attended and apologized to me in person. I learned for the first time in my 16 years living in Korea that there was an external affairs section that investigated incidents involving foreigners.

What kind of thoughts did you have?

With all that’s happened, the police chief can be called a hero. Anyone can write or post something. However, the police chief went above and beyond what he had to do and went a step further. In the end, the incident ended on a positive note. I counted, and there are 252 police departments in Korea. The change at the Yeonjae Police Department cannot stop there. The remaining 251 police chiefs must take an interest in safety measures for foreigners.  [Joong Ang Ilbo]

You can read more at the link, but the Korean man involved in this incident ultimately giving a half hearted apology for the incident as well.

Man Attacks Woman with Hammer In LA Koreatown; Is This A Case of Korean Misogyny?

Via a reader tip comes news of this horrible attack that some are now trying to use to further the narrative that Korean men have a misogyny and problem with violently attacking women:

A Korean man attacks a Korean woman with a hammer in LA’s Koreatown district.

The 22-year-old South Korean man in a black T-shirt asked one question of the young woman before bludgeoning her repeatedly with a hammer.

“Are you Korean?”

Much about the random attack last Friday at a Koreatown strip mall remains unclear, but police said Thursday one thing seemed apparent: Jae Won Yang chose his victim because she was Korean, and a woman.

Last week’s attack, in front of a second-floor acupuncture clinic, has reverberated across the Pacific Ocean to rattle nerves and grab headlines in South Korea. The incident set off online debates about whether it was the latest in violent attacks against women in recent years that have triggered soul-searching about misogyny in the Asian nation.  [LA Times]

You can read and see the video of the attack at the link.

Here are my thoughts on this, if people want to debate misogyny and violence against women in Korea fine, but don’t twist incidents to prove the point.  For example the big incident that has been used recently to “prove” this point was the violent murder of a woman in the Gangnam district of Seoul last year.  However, what the activists pushing this narrative do not mention is that the Gangman murderer for years was in and out of mental hospitals and became homeless because his family could no longer handle caring for him due to his mental illness.  The guy was certifiably crazy, not a misogynist.

This guy with the hammer attack we don’t know what his motive is yet.  Maybe he hates Korean women and decided to just randomly attack one with a hammer.  If so then the activists have their case they can champion to prove their point.  However, maybe this guy is someone else with a background of mental illness.  This statement in the article seems to suggest that:

Kim, who met with Yang after his arrest, said the man was rambling and nonsensical about the motive behind the attack. He does not speak any English, Kim said.

I am sure that as more facts come out this guy’s motive will become more clear, but in the meantime instead making unsubstantiated claims of misogyny lets all hope the victim of this horrible attack is able to make a speedy recovery.

Foreigner Arrested After Being Assaulted By A Korean Man in Costco Parking Lot In Busan

This story of a Columbian man assaulted by a Korean man at a Busan Costco just continues to confirm my long held advice that foreigners need to swallow their pride and walk away from confrontations with Koreans.  This is because the odds are high that the police will side with the Korean and that the foreigner will end up being the one arrested which is what happened in this case.

To summarize a Columbian man and his Korean wife were walking back to their car at the Busan Costco when the Korean wife yelled loudly for a car to stop which saves the life of little kid who can in front of it. The grandpa of the little kid gets angry at the Korean wife for yelling at the kid and then eventually tries to assault her.  However Columbian husband gets in front of him to stop the assault and the grandpa pushes the Columbian to the ground and begins to punch him.  While this is going on he is yelling racist remarks the whole time. The assault is caught on camera and yet the police side with the Korean grandpa who is lying and yelling racist remarks the whole time.  The police arrest the Columbian man and say this can all go away if he does not pursue the assault charge on the Korean man.  The charges are dropped after the Columbian man agrees to not pursue the case against the grandpa and everyone goes home.

The best thing the Columbian man did was not to try and fight back despite being pushed to the ground and having the Korean man on top of him punching him.  In Korea you do not have the right to self defense like people in the United States for example may be use to having.  If he would have punched the guy back he would likely be in jail for assault.  What he was not smart about was trying to pursue the assault charge against the Korean man.  He should have just left after the assault was broken up because the odds of the police siding with a foreigner are very low.  This is where the swallowing your pride and walking away is the best thing to do.  It lets the Korean man save face while the foreigner doesn’t have to worry about getting arrested.

Chinese Tourists Brutally Attack Restaurant Owner On Jeju Island

This is a pretty bad attack considering this woman has signs of bleeding in her brain:

Eight Chinese tourists on Jeju Island were arrested Saturday for allegedly attacking and injuring four Koreans, including a restaurant owner who stopped them drinking alcohol they brought from outside. / Courtesy of YouTube

Eight Chinese tourists on Jeju Island were arrested Saturday for allegedly attacking and injuring four Koreans, including a restaurant owner who stopped them drinking alcohol they brought from outside. / Courtesy of YouTube

Police have arrested eight Chinese tourists on Jeju Island for allegedly bashing four Koreans, including a restaurant owner.

The tourists ― six men and two women ― were arrested Saturday for allegedly assaulting and injuring the Korean restaurant owner and three others, Jeju Seobu Police Station said on Monday.

The incident happened at the restaurant in the Yeondong district of Jeju.

Police said the tourists became angry when the restaurant owner, surnamed Ahn, 53, stopped them from drinking alcohol they had brought with them. They had placed their order but then decided to leave.

The tourists allegedly attacked the owner when she asked them to pay for the food. Police said they kicked her in the stomach and attempted to attack her with a bottle of alcohol.

The tourists were also accused of beating three others in the restaurant who tried to stop them, including Ahn’s son.

Ahn is being treated in hospital after signs of bleeding into her brain. Another victim is suffering facial fractures. [Korea Times]

You can read more at the link, but I wonder if the Chinese embassy will get involved and do everything they can to protect these thugs from being punished like they did when Chinese went on a rampage in Seoul in 2008 brutally beating Koreans in the streets.

Krusinski Receives Likely Career Ending Reprimand After Assault Acquital

This shouldn’t come as a surprise to those who have been following the Krusinski case:

The Air Force has decided to punish a former sexual assault prevention officer accused of groping a woman outside a Washington-area restaurant last year by issuing him a letter of reprimand rather than pursue a court-martial, according to an Air Force document obtained by Stars and Stripes.

The disposition decision by Col. Bill Knight, the commander of the 11th Wing, “was based primarily on the fact that [Lt. Col. Jeffrey] Krusinski had already been acquitted during his civilian trial,” according to the document, which is being reviewed.

A letter of reprimand “is designed to improve, correct and instruct those who depart from standards of performance, conduct, bearing and integrity and whose actions degrade the individual and the unit’s mission,” according to the Air Force.  [Stars & Stripes]

You can read more at the link, but Krusinski’s career is obviously over.  Considering the alternatives I am sure he is happy with being able to retire once he reaches 20 years of service.  It will be interesting to see if the Air Force decides to make him retire as a Major though which would be a huge financial loss for him for a crime that he was acquitted of.