USS John S McCain Struck By Oil Tanker, 10 Sailors Missing

Home Forums US Military Topics USS John S McCain Struck By Oil Tanker, 10 Sailors Missing

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Tagum City Tim Tagum City Tim 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    GIKorea
    GIKorea
    Keymaster

Another horrible collision has happened with a Pacific based US Navy ship and a merchant vessel:

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="780"] USS John S McCain[/caption]

Ten US Navy sailors are missing after a US Navy guided-missile destroyer collided with a merchant ship east of Singapore early Monday, the second collision involving a US warship in just over two months.

The Navy’s 7th Fleet said the USS John S. McCain collided with the merchant vessel Alnic MC while the destroyer was making its way to a port visit in Singapore. The collision was reported at 5:24 am local time, according to the Navy statement.
    A Navy official told CNN the McCain was fighting flooding in several places and that it had limited propulsion and electrical power. The Navy said the McCain was steaming under its own power to port.
     In addition to the 10 missing sailors, the Navy said five were injured in the collision.
    Search and rescue efforts are under way, the Navy statement said, with helicopters and Marine Corps Osprey aircraft from the amphibious assault ship USS America responding.  [CNN]
    You can read more at the link, but lets hope the 10 sailors are found after this tragic incident.
    I do have to say that this collision is very suspicious because this is the second US Navy ship to be struck by a commercial vessel in three months.  Additionally both vessels are Pacific based Aegis ballistic missile ships.  Considering the recent tensions with North Korea’s missile programs these ships would be critical to protect US bases and allies in the region if conflict was to happen.
    Some have speculated that the USS Fitzgerald which was struck by commercial ship back in June might have fallen prey to a hacking of the commercial ship’s navigation system.  Investigation results have not been released yet in regards to what happened with the commercial ship.
    In regards to the John S McCain I do find the timing of this interesting considering it was doing freedom of navigation patrols in the South China Sea which the Chinese government has criticized.  Additionally this collision comes days after the Trump administration launched an investigation targeting Chinese intellectual property infringement.
    I guess we will see if this all just a big coincidence.  I actually hope so because if this was deliberately done we may entering interesting time.

• #152332 Reply

johnnyboy

I could believe it is a coincidence, or that America’s Navy has become incompetent to the point of multiple collisions involving expensive destroyers.

MY gut tells me this is no coincidence though.

• #152338 Reply

JoeC

I have to believe they are coincidental.

If there is a systemic problem with the control of these ships that could have and should have been fixed that information won’t be made public for some time. But, one sign that there was a fleet-wide fixable problem would be if we see commanders much higher up the chain of command lose their jobs over it.

• #152341 Reply

Kim I’ll sung

This might be a sofictigcated deliberate act to damage as many war ship as a possible as a prelude to war, something just not right wth so many ships being rammed. North Korean agents?

• #152365 Reply

William Love

Have we considered that the  freighter’s pilot steered into the warship?  Was the pilot an arab in either collision?

• #152369 Reply
    GIKorea
    GIKorea
    Keymaster

This is what the Pacific Fleet commander had to say about a cyber attack:

[caption width="1484" align="alignnone"] Admiral Scott Swift[/caption]

“While each of these four incidents is unique, they cannot be viewed in isolation,” Swift said.

He said the Navy would conduct an investigation “to find out if there is a common cause … and if so, how do we solve that.”

He said he had heard some reports speculating that the Navy could have been a victim of a cyberattack. “We’ve seen no indications of that as yet, but … we are not taking any consideration off the table,” he said. [Washington Post]

I am wondering now if maybe this is a symptom of an overstretched Navy that has been asked to do more with less?

• #152446 Reply

kangaji
    Participant

Seems like training focused on the wrong things and crews being put on too many watchew without enough sleep, not some cyber attack.

• #152491 Reply
    GIKorea
    GIKorea
    Keymaster

All the bodies on the John S. McCain have now been recovered.

• #152602 Reply
    Tagum City Tim
    Tagum City Tim
    Participant

It’s a north Korean plot to take out all the guided missile destroyers in preparation for their ballistic missile attack on Guam, Japan, South Korea, China???  Much too alike these two incidents are!

Reply To: USS John S McCain Struck By Oil Tanker, 10 Sailors Missing
Your information: