Bowe Bergdahl Enters Guilty Plea

Home Forums US Military Topics Bowe Bergdahl Enters Guilty Plea

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Smokes 1 month ago.

• Author
    GIKorea
    GIKorea
    Keymaster

I have always felt that Bergdahl should receive the Charles Robert Jenkins punishment of a month in jail and stripping of all rank and benefits.  This is because of the time he has already spent in captivity being tortured by the Taliban:

Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl pleaded guilty Monday morning to charges that he deserted his eastern Afghanistan combat post and misbehaved before the enemy, endangering his fellow troops.

The former Taliban captive entered his pleas to both charges without reaching an agreement with the Army to cap his sentence, defense attorneys said during a pre-trial hearing at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. That will leave his fate entirely in the hands of the judge, Army Col. Jeffery R. Nance.

Bergdahl, 31, faces a potential life sentence from the more serious misbehavior charge. The desertion charge carries a maximum penalty of five years imprisonment.  [Stars & Stripes]

You can read more at the link.

• #153557 Reply

Smokes

I wonder if the families of those who died searching for him have a case for a civil suit?

• #153562 Reply
    GIKorea
    GIKorea
    Keymaster

@Smokes, I think it would be difficult to file a civil suit because it could open a pandora’s box of lawsuits against other people who may have made questionable decisions or actions that led to soldier deaths.  For example the leaders of the two Navy ships that had accidents that killed 17 total sailors, should civil lawsuits be brought against them?

• #153568 Reply

Smokes

“should civil lawsuits be brought against them”

I dunno, I’m not making a case in either direction on that. Just wondering if people can do that considering the uncommon factor of it happening in a combat zone.

With regards to the naval accidents however, they weren’t in combat environments and could likely be pursued under some sort of Sewol-type dereliction or safety thing but again I’m wondering can civilian parties bring lawsuits against individuals for actions while they were on-duty?

Reply To: Bowe Bergdahl Enters Guilty Plea
Your information: