Korean Illegal Immigrants Fear Being Deported By New US Immigration Enforcement Policies

I hope the Korean consulate and advocacy groups are recommending to the illegal immigrants calling them to go back to Korea instead of remaining as criminals in the US:

Agents from U.S. Immigration and Customs take an undocumented immigrant to a patrol car in Los Angeles on Feb, 7, 2017, in this photo released by The Associated Press. (Yonhap)

Park Sang-ok, a consul responsible for immigration affairs at the South Korean Consulate General in Los Angeles, was inundated with telephone calls all day long on Friday.

Many Koreans who are not legally in the United States called him for inquiries, as they were becoming aware that the anti-immigration polices of U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration were imminent and are scared of possibly being deported.

According to Park, the callers, including one from Boston, Massachusetts, were responding to the consulate general’s posting of a notice about the U.S. administration’s measures to toughen immigration polices and related information.

Advocacy groups supporting the rights of Korean immigrants, such as the Los Angeles-based Korean Resource Center (KRC), have been dealing with an increasing number of callers seeking more information about the administration’s campaign to crack down on illegal immigration. The center, founded in 1983, was created to educate, serve and organize the Korean-American community in Los Angeles.

One of the officials at the KRC, Chung Sang-hyuk, said, “We received an average of 20 calls a day last week. There were calls from Ohio State and New York as well as Los Angeles.”

The Korean-American community has been gripped by fear since the Trump administration on Tuesday announced new guidelines that could lead to more aggressive deportations of undocumented immigrants inside the country and at the border.  [Yonhap]

The new immigration policy deports illegal immigrants arrested for crimes.  Such as this guy here quoted in the article:

A Korean-American in his 20s living in Georgia State said to Yonhap News Agency, “I have been fined for drunk driving in the past and my visa has expired. I am so worried about agents coming after me.”

If an illegal immigrant is driving around drunk, putting people at risk, why should American citizens be expected to let this person stay?

Here is the other effect from President Trump’s new immigration policy, it is forcing people to apply for residency and citizenship:

Against the backdrop, lawyers specializing in immigration law are cashing in on many Koreans’ needs to obtain permanent residence rights and citizenships earlier.

A 49-year-old Korean resident near Los Angeles said on the condition of anonymity that he hurriedly applied for citizenship right after President Trump’s inauguration. “But it remains to be seen whether I will get it in due time,” he said.

I have little sympathy for illegal immigrants that have had years to apply for residency and did not do it.

Danish Court Delays Sending Chung Yoo-ra Back to South Korea

It looks like Chung Yoo-ra the 21-year old daughter of the woman at the heart of the ROK presidential scandal will remain in Denmark a bit longer:

This file photo, taken from a clip on YouTube on Jan. 3, 2017, shows Chung Yoo-ra, the daughter of Choi Soon-sil at the center of a corruption scandal that has led to South Korean President Park Geun-hye’s impeachment, holding an interview with Korean reporters at a court in the northern Danish city of Aalborg. (Yonhap)

The Danish prosecution on Tuesday deferred a decision over whether to repatriate the daughter of South Korean President Park Geun-hye’s close confidante at the center of a high-profile corruption scandal.

South Korea’s special probe team, led by Independent Counsel Park Young-soo, has requested Denmark to send Chung Yoo-ra, the 21-year-old daughter of Choi Soon-sil, to Seoul so she could be questioned on a series of alleged wrongdoings related to the president.

Chung, who has been held in custody in the European country since last month, has so far refused to voluntarily return home to face a probe.

The Danish prosecution told the South Korean embassy in Copenhagen that it has yet to reach a final decision on the requested repatriation of Chung, and that it needs more time to pore over documents it has received from the independent counsel team.

The Danish prosecution has asked a court to hold deliberations on an extension of Chung’s detention on Wednesday morning. Chung’s detention is set to end at 9 a.m. on Wednesday.  [Yonhap]

You can read more at the link, but I think the continued delays to repatriate Chung is an indication that the evidence against her is pretty weak.

US Soldier Accused of Raping a Korean Woman in Busan

Considering that the suspect is an ethnic Korean it will be interesting to see if the Korean media tries to keep a low key approach to this case or not:

An American soldier of Korean ethnicity has been charged with raping a Korean woman at a Busan guesthouse.

Busan Jungbu police have charged the man, 21, with raping the woman, 24.

The soldier, from a U.S. Forces Korea camp in Gyeonggi Province, made the woman’s acquaintance through an online dating app.

On Feb. 18, he met her in person in Busan while on a brief vacation. At about 4:30 a.m., after they had been drinking, the soldier took her to a guesthouse, where he allegedly raped her.

Police said the man had denied the charge.

The police plan to refer the case to U.S. military police, who will deal with it according to the Status of Forces Agreement between Seoul and Washington.  [Korea Times]

Four North Korean Men Linked to Kim Jong-nam Murder Have Fled Malaysia

I figured that the real North Korean agents would have fled the country immediately after Kim Jong-nam was killed; they are all probably safely back in North Korea by now:

Noor Rashid speaking at a press conference at Bukit Aman on Sunday Read more at http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2017/02/19/jong-nam-murder-police-pc/#Ug6FBPgBF0GVvwCX.99

Malaysia’s police are looking for four more North Korean suspects who they say left the country the same day the North Korean leader’s brother died after being attacked at the Kuala Lumpur airport.

Deputy national police chief Noor Rashid Ibrahim identified all four at a news conference on Sunday. He also identified a fifth person of interest and showed photographs of two more North Koreans who were not identified by name but are also wanted in connection with Kim Jong Nam’s apparent assassination on Monday.  [Stars & Stripes]

Here are the names of the four suspects, so if anyone happens to run in them please let Police Chief Ibrahim know:

Malaysian police officers escort Ri Jong-chol, second from left in the top photo, one of the North Korean suspects involved in the assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un’s older half-brother Kim Jong-nam in Kuala Lumpur, Saturday. Other North Korean suspects are, from left in the bottom row, are Ri Jae-nam, Ri Ji-hyon, O Jong-gil and Hong Song-hac. / Yonhap

Deputy Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Noor Rashid Ibrahim said the suspects, all North Koreans, left the country on Monday Feb 13, the day of Jong-nam’s murder.

“We can confirm that the four left the country on the same day of the attack.

“We are cooperating with Interpol and other relevant bodies in the region,” he told a press conference in Bukit Aman on Sunday.

The press conference is the first that the police have conducted since Jong-nam was assassinated.

The four wanted suspects are:

1. Rhi Ji Hyon, 33, arrived in Malaysia Feb 4, 2017

2. Hong Song Hac, 34, arrived Jan 31, 2017

3. O Jong Gil, 55, arrived Feb 7, 2017

4. Ri Jae Nam, 57, arrived Feb 1, 2017    [The Star]

Of interest is that according to The Star article the North Korean man that they did arrest has a background in chemistry which means they must think he is the guy that put the poison together.  It seems like if he did why didn’t he leave the country with the other four agents?

Indonesian Arrested for the Murder of Kim Jong-nam Described as a “Quiet and Innocent” Girl

She may be quiet, but it appears Siti Aisyah is no longer innocent:

Siti Aisyah

Siti Aisyah

For those who have met Siti Aisyah, the notion that the 25-year-old woman from Serang, Banten, might have been capable of allegedly taking part in a vicious plot to murder a high-profile figure in a foreign country is hard to swallow.

Siti, who is believed to have been arrested in Malaysia for her alleged role in the murder of Kim Jong-nam, the estranged brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, has been described by her neighbours and relatives as a “quiet and innocent” girl.

Siti once lived in a house located in a small alley in the densely populated quarters of Tambora district, West Jakarta. There she resided with her former husband Gunawan Hasyim and former father-in-law Liang Kiong, known as Akiong.

To her neighbours, Siti is just one of millions of Indonesians looking for job opportunities in neighbouring Malaysia.

 “She rarely mingled with others. [But] I’m sure that it is her. I recognise her from the picture and I had seen her often back then,” said one of the neighbours named Anisa Fitri as quoted by Antara news agency. “She is a quiet and innocent person from the region,” she added.

Halimah, another neighbor who has lived in Tambora since 1969, was stunned by the news, saying that “[Siti] is poor; it’s a pity that she has been dragged into the case. She once lived next door to me before she moved [to her then father-in-law’s house],” she said.  [The Star]

You can read more about her at the link.

Woman Linked to Kim Jong-nam Murder Traveled to Vietnam and South Korea with North Korean Agent

Here is the latest details about the women who apparently were duped into murdering Kim Jong-nam by a North Korean agent who allegedly was able to travel to South Korea:

Female suspects Doan (left) and Siti Aishah.

The two women suspected to have murdered North Korean Kim Jong-nam were allegedly “recruited” by a mysterious man to carry out the deadly task as early as three months ago.

According to a report by China Press, both Siti Aishah, 25, and Doan Thi Huong, 29, were not North Korean “special agents, but were possibly duped by a spy ring to commit the assassination.

Indonesian national Siti Aishah was arrested at 2am on Thursday, while Doan, who holds a Vietnamese passport, was arrested a day earlier.

China Press reported that the mystery man, believed to be a spy, got to know Doan about three months ago in Malaysia, who eventually became his escort.

The mystery man even took her on several overseas trips, including on one to Vietnam, where they visited her hometown and another trip to South Korea.

China Press reported the mystery man then introduced Doan to the four men still wanted by the police in connection with the killing.

It reported that the mystery man got to know Siti Aishah about a month ago, but only introduced the two women to each other recently when he told them about a “prank ” he wanted them to pull off.

The two women have claimed that they had no idea that it would lead to trouble as they thought it was only supposed to be a filming of the prank being carried out.

They apparently rehearsed the “spoof” many times and were able to carry out the process proficiently.  [The Star]

You can read more at the link.

Seoul Court Gives No Jail Time to British DJ Mark Lewis Who Smuggled Date Rape Drug Into Korea

The Grammy nominated British DJ Mark Lewis who arrested this past August for drug smuggling at Incheon International Airport ended up getting off with pretty much no punishment:

A Grammy-nominated British DJ was found guilty of smuggling drugs into South Korea last year. The Seoul Central District Court sentenced the DJ, 53, to a year in prison, suspended for two years. A Korean-American was fined 20 million won for buying and using the drugs.

The Briton was arrested at a customs checkpoint at Incheon International Airport last June. He had a 1.5-liter bottle of gamma-hydroxybutyrate (GHB), also known as the date-rape drug, in his baggage. The court said he smuggled GHB into the country four times — in January, March, April and June.  [Korea Times]

You can read the rest at the link, but Lewis admitted to smuggling GHB into the country four times, but the court said they took into consideration that he was not trying to profit from the drugs.  So what was he doing with them?  Using them to rape women?  If he wasn’t the one using them to rape women then he was giving them to someone else to help them rape women.

If people in Korea want to go protest something, then go protest this.

Samsung Heir Lee Jae-yong Arrested for Corruption Linked to ROK Presidential Scandal

Considering the mountain of lawyers that Lee Jae-yong is sure to have I hope the ROK prosecutors have some indisputable evidence if they have any hope of convicting him:

Lee Jae Yong

Lee Jae-yong, vice chairman of Samsung Electronics Co., enters the Seoul Central District Court in southern Seoul on Feb. 16, 2017, to attend a hearing on the legitimacy of his arrest sought for the second time by special prosecutors for alleged bribery involving impeached President Park Geun-hye and related to the merger of two of Samsung’s affiliates. (Yonhap)

Lee Jae-yong, Samsung Group’s de facto leader, was formally arrested Friday on charges of bribery in connection with a high-profile corruption scandal surrounding President Park Geun-hye and her friend.

With the Seoul Central District Court issuing the arrest warrant, Lee, vice chairman of Samsung Electronics Co., became the first leader of the country’s largest business group to be detained in a criminal probe.

The investigation team, led by Independent Counsel Park Young-soo, requested the writ for a second time on Tuesday — less than a month after its first request on Lee’s charges of bribery, embezzlement and perjury was turned down.

In their second pursuit of the warrant, the prosecutors leveled more charges against the tycoon, including hiding criminal proceeds and violating the law on transferring assets abroad in the process of giving bribes to the president’s friend Choi Soon-sil.

“The rationale for and the necessity of (Lee’s) arrest is acknowledged considering the new charges and additional evidence collected,” the court said in a text message sent to reporters.

The court, however, rejected the request for a warrant to arrest Samsung Electronics President Park Sang-jin, saying it is difficult to recognize the need for his detention.

Following the court’s decision, Lee is to stay at a detention center in Uiwang, south of Seoul, where he had been waiting for the ruling.

Prosecutors have suspected that Lee gave or promised some 43 billion won (US$36.3 million) worth of bribes to Choi in exchange for the government’s backing of a merger of two Samsung affiliates in 2015.  [Yonhap]

You can read more at the link.

Two Korean Men Acquitted of Manslaughter After Chasing Man Committing Sex Act Into A Pole

This guy has to be a Darwin Award candidate:

Police have cleared two civilians over a man’s death during a citizens’ arrest.

The civilians, surnamed Kim and Kwon, saw the man carrying out a sexual act near a villa in Suwon on Aug. 13, 2016.

They chased the man and caught him after he collided with a power pole.

They subdued him and handed him to the police, but he died en route to the police station.

The man’s family sued Kim and Kwon in October after the National Forensic Agency found that the death was related to physical impact during the arrest.

But on Saturday, Suwon Nambu police sent the case to the prosecutor, saying there was no evidence for an indictment.

“The police investigated the death and the manslaughter suit against the civilians,” a police official said.

“However, the prosecution concluded there was insufficient evidence to charge the civilians with manslaughter and ordered the case to be designated ‘clear from suspicion’.”  [Korea Times]